Monday, July 13, 2009

At the Races?

Remember that scene in "My Fair Lady" where Eliza goes to the Royal Ascot races, and everyone's dressed in immaculate black and white? Love it, love it.

So, the cake I made this past weekend was totally my Royal Ascot cake. At least, that's what it made me think of. (I had "My Fair Lady" songs running through my head every time I so much as looked at it.) Technically, it was a bridal shower cake. But all I could think of was Audrey Hepburn and green lawns and tea cups and enormous ladies' hats (meaning the hats were enormous, not the ladies).

Man...it's definitely time to rent that movie.

ANYway--Sam, the bride-to-be, chose black, white, and some undefinable shade of blue/teal for her wedding colors. Since I didn't know what the blue looked like, I went with black and white. Classy. Elegant. Did I mention I love it?

Here I am, applying fondant flowers.

And here's the cake at the shower, on the table. The little "thingy" on top was supposed to be a flower. But it fell apart (sad!). Thankfully, I was able to sort of prop it up with floral wire. But it was supposed to be perkier and taller.

A closer shot:

And even closer...

Here are a few of us hanging out in the church parking lot after the shower. (No, we didn't all plan to wear black and white...but, yes, it did happen. Cheesy? Maybe. Funny? Definitely.)

And, finally, another closeup--this time, of us! If only we'd had some of those "My Fair Lady" hats. Ah, well. Maybe next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment