Monday, April 20, 2009

Let 'Em Eat Cake

White chocolate raspberry cake, that is. (I think they’ll like it.)

This was my latest “for hire” cake—a birthday cake for a friend-of-a-friend’s 50th. They were planning some sort of elegant dinner party and wanted a pretty cake as a centerpiece of sorts. I had freedom to play with this one quite a bit. They requested white chocolate and raspberry as the flavors, but, for decorating, really the only parameter I was given was to make it pretty and sort of “shabby chic” looking, and to include a fondant “poof” on top.

This cake involved several things that were new to me.

New thing #1: making my own royal icing. This was really easy, actually; I just used the recipe in one of my Wilton books.

New thing #2: making royal frosting decorations the day before making the cake. This was fun. I had decided to go with dusty rose, moss green, and bright white as my colors, so I dyed the frosting a rose color and then made a ton of drop flowers on wax paper and left them out to dry.

New thing #3: making half-roses. Something I’m still learning is the art of rose making. (I’m sooo bad at it!) But half-roses turned out to be not so hard. I piped a bunch of them onto the wax paper with the drop flowers and let them everything dry overnight.


New thing #4: dying fondant. Now THIS was entertaining. Working color into fondant takes some serious elbow grease—a lot of kneading, kneading, kneading. And it took me a while to get the color just right, the same as the frosting flowers/roses. But it came together nicely.

New thing #5: the fondant “poof.” This turned out to be not too difficult either, though I got the ribbon loops too large and ended up having to shorten then the next day (which made the fondant crack a little). Live and learn.


The rest was pretty much normal: frost it, stack it, decorate it.



End result: a white chocolate cake with white chocolate and raspberry fillings and white chocolate buttercream frosting. YUM. And I liked the look and the colors. All in all, I was pleased.


No comments:

Post a Comment